Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Deja vu

This happened last week:

Eli met me at the door as I was bringing in the day's harvest from the garden. He exclaimed, "Jalapenos!," grabbed one from me, and chomped off the end. Then I watched as he began fanning his face and shouting while tears streamed down his cheeks. I admit that I laughed a bit before getting him a glass of milk.

This happened 25 years ago:

One day while we were making lunch, Dad started teasing Miriam with a jalapeno. "Try it," he taunted, chasing her out of the kitchen with it.

As soon as they were gone, I went over to inspect the jalapenos. What was the big deal? I picked up one of the jalapeno seeds and popped it in my mouth.

When Miriam and Dad came back into the kitchen, my mouth was on fire and I may have been crying a little bit, but of course when Dad asked what was wrong, I said, "Nothing!"

2 comments:

  1. Dad remembers your face being very red. It was obvious to him what you had done. He thinks you might have put more than one seed in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember it like this...

    Mom was out. Dad had cooked eggs, like alway when mom was gone. Dad started teasing the twins and chased them out of the room. I sat at the table and watched a curious Erin slip a seed or two into her mouth. When dad returned with the twins, Erin's face was bright red but she didn't tell Dad what she'd done. Dad noticed and had to sternly get the confession out of Erin. I think she thought she'd be in trouble. Way to go dad! Sorry Erin, I wasn't experienced enough to know those seeds were that hot, but I never ate one after watching you. So thanks for that!:)

    ReplyDelete